The 50 sexiest men? Really?

So, I've been looking at Glamour magazine's poll of the 50 sexiest men in the world, and, to my chagrin, I realize that I have no idea who at least two-thirds of them are. The Jonas Brothers? Justin Bieber? Really???

Of course, the sexiest man, period, in this poll was Robert Pattinson, who plays a vampire in one of those phenomenally successful bloodsucker series that teenagers and wannabe teenagers love. I've seen his pouty, artfully disheveled visage in several publications over the past several months, so I could pick him out of a line-up, but I don't really know who he is. But many of the other "sexy guys" I couldn't even pick out of a line-up.

I think the names and faces on the poll tell us more about those who voted in it than about who is REALLY sexy and who isn't. I suspect the average age of the voters was around 12. In my experience, 12 year old girls, and I assume all the voters were girls, have a very naive concept of sexiness. Yes, even in these times when they are exposed to blatant sex everywhere they look almost from the cradle.

How, then, did truly sexy people like Robert Downey Jr., Orlando Bloom, Will Smith, Daniel Craig, and George Clooney make it onto the list? Well, I guess some grown-up women must have voted. But where is Matt Damon or Viggo Mortensen? Gross oversights!

You'll notice that all of these sexy creatures are actors or musicians, people who deal in fantasy of one kind or another. Are there no sexy poets, or economists, politicians or businessmen? And, the greatest oversight of all - my husband! But then, I think I'll just keep that little secret to myself.

Comments

  1. Beauty (Sexy) is in the eye of the beholder. Age, circumstance, and experience change the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poll is certainly proof of that, Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Sunday: Don't Hesitate by Mary Oliver

Poetry Sunday: Hymn for the Hurting by Amanda Gorman

Open Season (Joe Pickett #1) by C.J. Box - A review