Every time you open a newspaper or check out a news website online it seems that you run across another report of some food that is supposed to be so powerful that it might even help you live forever. Often it is some exotic food that you might have to visit a specialty store to find. But there are some everyday foods that can give any of those exotics a run for their money. They may not help you live forever, but it is possible that they could prolong your life and they could definitely make your feel better while you are enjoying that life. Here are ten of them that you should be able to find in just about any grocery store and that you can easily work into your daily diet.
1. Berries - Fruits like raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries are high in fiber. There is evidence that they help to protect against some cancers. Plus, they are good for your sweet tooth. They are low in calories but taste sweet and can help satisfy that craving for a sweet.
2. Beans - They contain iron which the body needs to stay healthy and, of course, they are full of fiber and their regular inclusion in the diet can be helpful in reducing cholesterol.
3. Eggs - I know, I know, they've had a bad rap lately, but that's not the egg's - or the hen's - fault. It's the fault of the industrial farming practices that have become so prevalent in this country. But the egg is an easy source of protein and has antioxidants that are especially good for the eyes. They contain lutein which is useful in protecting the eyes from age-related blindness from macular degeneration.
4. Nuts - Some societies that include lots of nuts in their diets have been shown to be longer-lived. The star of the nut family is the walnut. Walnuts contain high levels of Omega-3, an oil that is important for heart health.
5. Orange - This favorite really does contain lots of vitamin C, fiber and folate all of which are essential to good health.
6. Sweet Potatoes - This might just be the healthiest vegetable you can eat. They contain vitamin A and beta carotene and can help protect the eyes, bones, and immune system.
7. Broccoli - This dark green vegetable is full of so many good things that it is hard to mention them all. Suffice to say that it has vitamins C, A, and K, as well as folate, and it is helpful for bone health and to combat some cancers.
8. Tea - There is evidence that those who drink a lot of tea may be helping to protect themselves against Alzheimer's disease, diabetes, and some cancers. It also helps to promote healthy teeth, gums, and bones.
9. Spinach - Another miracle food that is loaded with all kinds of good things, including vitamins A, C, and K, fiber, minerals, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and vitamin E. Popeye was right - it makes you strong!
10. Yogurt - It helps with gut health and can aid in staving off age-related intestinal diseases. There are serious claims that people who eat a lot of yogurt may live longer and some studies actually back this up. Anyway, it couldn't hurt!
These are super foods that any of us can easily work into our daily diets. They may not help us leap tall buildings in a single bound, but it is pretty well-established that they can help us feel better and keep us from turning our health molehills into mountains.