Open Season (Joe Pickett #1) by C.J. Box - A review

I was introduced to the writing of C.J. Box through my local library's Mystery Book Club. Open Season, the first in Box's Joe Pickett series, was the club's selection for reading in June. Although I didn't get a chance to read it in time for the meeting, the discussion of it made me curious and I put it on my to-be-read list. I'm glad I finally got around to it this week.

Box has created an enormously appealing character in Joe Pickett. A Wyoming game warden, Joe is a devoted family man with two young daughters and a pregnant wife when we first meet him. He and his family are able to barely scrape by financially on the meager salary of a state employee (Been there, done that!), but Joe is a happy man, because he's living his dream. Being a game warden was what he always wanted to be.

Not only Joe but his whole family are lovingly drawn by Box. We get to know them well and to like them and want them not just to endure but to triumph. Seven-year-old Sheridan, particularly, who has an important role to play in this story, is a child after my own heart. I know her well because I could easily see seven-year-old Dorothy in her.

The story begins with Joe's sidearm being taken from him by local wilderness outfitter/game poacher Ote Keeley when he confronts Keeley about his poaching, catching him red-handed, literally hands dripping blood, with the carcasses of his out-of-season kills. Keeley eventually gives the gun back and Joe writes him a ticket for poaching. Soon the story of how the bumbling game warden was disarmed is making the rounds and Joe becomes something of a laughingstock. But, he stoically continues doing his job every day to the best of his ability and continues to write tickets for scofflaws, even when it might be more convenient or popular for him to look the other way.

Then comes the night sometime later when a mortally wounded Ote Keeley rushes into the yard of the Pickett family with a plastic tub in his hands. His face is seen at her bedroom window by Sheridan but she convinces herself that it was only a dream and doesn't wake her parents. The next morning, Ote Keeley's dead body is found next to the Picketts' woodpile with an open plastic tub containing some kind of animal scat by his side. Why would Keeley use his dying breath to drag himself to the Pickett home? What was he carrying in that plastic container? Joe is intrigued, of course, and he gathers some of the scat into envelopes to send for analysis, before he calls in the local sheriff.

As the investigation proceeds, Joe begins to suspect that something is rotten in the state of Wyoming. He and another game warden and a local deputy are sent into the wilds to find Ote's two partners, who, it is suspected may be responsible for shooting him. When they arrive at the camp, they find another eccentric local coming out of one of the tents with a gun, but the other two men in Pickett's party shoot the man before he has a chance to say anything. Searching the camp, they make another gruesome find in one of the other tents.

This is a real page-turner of a first novel. Box keeps the action going and keeps the reader guessing until close to the end, even though it seemed obvious pretty early on who the bad and badder guys were going to be. I look forward to reading more in the series and seeing how these characters develop.

I did have quibbles with one part of Box's narrative. His presentation of the effects of the Endangered Species Act seemed quite biased to me. He bemoaned the fact of the negative impact on the local economy when logging and other outdoors jobs were lost because of the need to protect a dwindling population of his fictional "Miller's weasels," which seemed to be based on the real-life experience of the endangered black-footed ferret. In the next breath, he talks about outsiders pouring into town to see the ferret or to take part in its protection. Surely, those people have to stay somewhere. They have to eat something. They have to buy gas for their vehicles or supplies for their treks into the wilderness. This would seem to pump a lot of money into the local economy and to create new jobs and new opportunities for entrepreneurship. Does the word "ecotourism" ring a bell? I know it certainly does along the Texas coast with all its bird and butterfly festivals and its year-round influx of birders and other outdoors-lovers from right around the world. I don't see why that wouldn't work in Wyoming as well.

Comments

  1. IT JUST SO HAPPENS THAT I FINISHED READING THIS SELF SAME BOOK TONITE, AND THOT TO LOOK UP THIS INTRIGUING LITTLE CREATURE MYSELF, JUST TO GET A VISUAL IN MIND OF IT. I LIVE IN WYOMING AND HAVE FOR 33 YRS THE LAST 22 IN THE BIG HORN MTNS ON THE WEST SLOPE IN A SMALL TOWN OF LESS THAN 2000 PEOPLE, GREYBULL. I HAD HEARD OF THE BLACKFOOTED FERRET BUT NOT THIS 'WEASEL'. MY HUSBAND HAS LIVED HIS WHOLE LIFE HERE AND IN THE BIG HORNS WHERE HE'S HUNTED AND TRAPPED SINCE HE WAS KNEEHI TO A GRASSHOPPER,SO I ASKED HIM IF HE KNEW OF A WEASEL THAT WAS OR IS NEAR EXTINCTION, BUT COULDN'T PLACE IT. SO OF COURSE I LOOK IT UP TO FIND YOU. I KNOW THAT AUTHORS MIX TRUTH AND FICTION BUT SOMETIMES PICKING WHICH IS WHICH CAN BE TOUGH. I AM GLAD TO KNOW THAT WE DON'T HAVE SUCH A DARLING ANIMAL ON WYOMING'S ENDANGERED. I HAVE READ 3 OF BOX'S BOOKS AND SO FAR ENJOYED EVERY ONE, I HOPE U HAVE CONTINUED READING THE SERIES, THEY R SO 'REAL TO LIFE' GOOD READING. AND DON'T MISS 'THE BACK OF BEYOND' IT TRUMPS THEM ALL, SO FAR ANYWAY. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME, I'VE SO ENJOYED YOUR COMMENTS AND THE OPPORTUNITY TO COMMENT TOO. CHERYL GREENE, GREYBULL,WY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheryl. What a magnificent part of the country you live in!

      Yes, writers certainly mix truth and fiction in their stories, and Box is a gifted storyteller, taking a kernel of truth and weaving his tale around it. I'm working my way through the series. I've read three of the books so far and have the others on my "to-be-read" list.

      Delete
    2. Will be finishing this book this evening. Yes, I also looked up the Miller's weasel to get a visual. This is the second book by Box that I have read and enjoy them. Joe Pickett is a great character.

      Delete
    3. Look up black-footed weasel. I think you'll find that is what the Miller's weasel is based on.

      Delete
    4. Please, Cheryl, text in all capitals is difficult to read.

      Delete
    5. C.J. Box is unfortunately typical of those who are pro-environment in some ways (against intrusive wind turbines) but anti-environment in other ways, like disrespecting endangered species. They lack a coherent view.

      Many people with rural outlooks think nature isn't doing so badly because they don't feel the crush of human pressure like urban folks do. That pressure expands to far away places, and everyone ought to see the whole picture.

      Delete
  2. I recently got to read as first book from the Joe-Picket-series No. 5 "Out of range". I was so impressed by that and read now No. 1 "Open season" and have Nos. 2, 3, 4, and 6 "In plain sight" already downloaded on my e-book-reading device.
    And I hope to spend a vacation soon in Wyoming....

    Best Regards from a native German living since 2007 in Thailand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wyoming is a wild and beautiful place to vacation.

      Delete
  3. Just finished the audio book of "Open Season." I just had to look up Miller's Weasel to see if it was a factual or fictional species. I am really drawn to the Western part of the U.S. so I was anxious to try one of Box's books, since my daughter's boyfriend telling me about him and his story settings. I am now planning to put in a request for another audio book by him from my local library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He draws the settings of his books - Wyoming - very vividly and the Pickett family are very interesting and sympathetic characters. I think you will enjoy the books.

      Delete
  4. I'm a little more than half way through this book. (I read 2 other Box novels, then decided to start at the beginning.) I, too, have enjoyed what I read so far ---it seems that my favorite authors (Child, Connelly, Grafton to name a few) can't write as fast as I can read, so I like finding new-to-me authors who have already written a bunch of novels I can read leisurely over a couple of years before catching up to the author. (I try to alternate one good who-dunnit with a non-fiction book, and I don't like reading too many by the same person too close together because they become predictable, so it takes a while.)

    My only complaint is that Box's points of view are somewhat conservative for my city-bred tastes, but the characters, plots, and writing are so good I can overlook most of it. And, I'm sure, he is reflecting the point of view of most residents of rural Wyoming, so they are true-to-life..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your last paragraph expresses well the concerns that I've had about Box's writing, but you also express the reason for going back to him - the writing is very good. In fact, it's been quite a while since I've read any of this series. Maybe it's time to read another.

      Delete
    2. By "conservative" you likely mean having a warped view of nature being OK when it's really being destroyed every second. Endangered species are one of many symptoms.

      Delete
    3. For some "conservative" is warped, but only because of their perspective. Like looking through the curved tinted window of an SUV.

      Delete
  5. C.J. Box tells it like it is; there is too much federal government influence in the USA. Under obama, the EPA has become way too powerful and is trampling on the property owners rights. Previous commenters stated that Box portrayed the federal government employees in a negative light....I disagree...he portrayed them in a realistic and accurate light...not a sugar-coated version that the mainstream media publishes. Bottom line: chill out...it is a terrific book and a dynamite fictional main character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect you are the ideal reader that Mr. Box is writing for.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this ... I also came from 'Open Season', and it's as good as his later books. I'm not too worried about Box's views; I think he's accurately reflecting what his characters would think - and what, I'm sure would be thought in rural Wyoming - with good reason. The fact that he wrote the story suggests that the author isn't so conservative at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've since read a few more of the books in this series and these are views that the writer makes clear are prevalent in the society about which he is writing.That's okay. I don't mind reading about people who hold views that I find ill-considered and wrong as long as they are part of a good story. Box is a good writer.

      Delete
    2. I don't find Box or his character too conservative at all. In spite of complaints about bureaucracies Pickett is, after all, a strict enforcer of regulations and a protector of the natural environment.

      Delete
    3. Indeed he is. The character is a fine example of the dedicated men and women who serve as game wardens.

      Delete
  7. Just finished "Open Seaon" as an audiobook today. Was amused to be asked last night while talking to a cousin if I had ever read any CJ Box books, she had just finished her second book by him and her sister was on her first. So, three of us having started on the Joe Pickett series. As to Box's conservatism, I'm not quite as convinced about that. A friend who has read the whole series says Box portrays Pickett as an hardcore advocate for endangered species. Throughout the book I couldn't decide if it was the writing or the narration but I was never quite sure if Box was singing the praises (aka "calling it like it is") of the Wyoming-ite lifestyle or poking fun at the stereotype. It sure seemed like a lot of the passages were more than a little bit tinged with mockery. I guess I'll get clarity on this as I work my way through the series, which I will be doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while since I've read any of this series. I read the first five and enjoyed all of them to a greater or lesser extent. Box is a good writer and perhaps I need to put some of the later books on my TBR list.

      Delete
  8. Ms Borders... I think your comments are a very good reflection of the book. I enjoyed it very much and will look forward to reading the entire series. However, I would take issue with your assumption that the loss of jobs in a very small economic area could even remotely be offset by a short-lived influx of outsiders coming to town to do whatever it is they do. Once they leave, the real damage to the economy is done. Their livelihood will become as extinct as Miller's Weasel. The Bighorn Mountains are a national treasure not seen by many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ecotourism would not be "a short-lived influx of outsiders." In fact, my experience with it - again, here in Texas which I realize is not Wyoming - is that it is a viable and long-term enterprise that can have a major impact on the economy of an area. That could be true even in the (fictional) setting of Box's series.

      Delete
  9. I enjoy this series of stories very much and reading all the comments . He brings the outdoors into the living room for me, while also drawing my attention to some of the problems that go along with trying to keep our forests and wildlife at a reasonable balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His descriptions of the outdoors life and what it is like to be a ranger are certainly spot on and one of the reasons for the great popularity of the series, I think.

      Delete
  10. I read a few others before Open Season and enjoyed them so much that I thought I would start from the beginning. We live in Colorado and like to read about places in Wyoming as well as Colorado. I love his writing and it never gets boring. Hope the series continues for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Starting from the beginning is best with this series because each entry builds on and refers back to previous entries. Box is up to number 19 already and shows no signs of stopping.

      Delete
  11. I am a fan of the Joe Pickett books. I've read all twenty three times. Waiting for twenty-one to come out in paperback. I've always lived in very urban areas and thoroughly enjoy Mr. Box's descriptions of the Wyoming country. Would love to visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My husband and I have listened to several of his Pickett series on road trips. It's the kind of book we can bothe enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've read several of the Joe Pickett books, including this one, and have liked them all. But for some reason the Joe Pickett character and the supporting cast just never seemed completely real to me. I read a lot of series fiction and find that if I don't like multiple characters in the series I tend to drop out. I have had Pickett on pause for a while...second or third time that's happened...but I'll be giving him another look at some point, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I would like the mystery itself, but like you his perspective on protecting endangered animals would be annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've now read several books in the series and it has grown on me. Pickett himself has evolved a bit as a character, as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Sunday: Don't Hesitate by Mary Oliver

Poetry Sunday: Hymn for the Hurting by Amanda Gorman