So far the Republican debate audiences have gone wild to show their support for:
- The death penalty to be applied without restraint.
- Letting uninsured people die of treatable diseases.
- An electrified border fence to kill people who try to cross it.
Furthermore, they have booed:
- Gay soldiers who choose to serve their country, even those who are in war zones.
- Letting children (who may themselves be citizens) of undocumented workers pay in-state tuition at Texas universities.
Given that history, it's really not all that hard to predict what the crowd might get hot and excited about this time. I would guess that if Newt Gingrich mentions his plan to do away with child labor laws and put six-year-olds to work as janitors, the Republican crowd would love it. And if he goes even further and mentions his long-ago scheme of having the state take custody of the children of welfare recipients and put them in orphanages to be raised, the crowd will probably work itself into a frenzy and nominate him for president on the spot!
As I say, I can hardly wait.