My own personal Bloom Day


I missed Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day (June 15) and also Bloomsday (June 16) this month because I was on the road, and so I am declaring this day, June 20, the last day of spring, as my own very personal June Bloom Day.

June is a month that is full of blooms in my garden, so let's get right to it.


Daylilies like this one might be considered the backbone of my late spring garden and there are many in bloom this month.  Here are a few more of them.







The pretty little alstromeria also is beginning its bloom this month. 

Next to the little goldfish pond with its water lilies in bloom, the Pepto Bismol pink flamingos guard their domain.  

Along the back fence, the trumpet vines lift their blossoms. 

June is a big month for the roses. Here is 'Molineux' - which obviously needs to be deadheaded!

'Belinda's Dream' after an afternoon shower.

'Darcy Bussell' was moved in early spring and pouted for several weeks, but finally she seems to have settled in and is beginning to bloom.

'Litchfield Angel'

The pomegranate is flowering.

Several of the lantanas around the garden are full of color now. Here, yellow.

'Dallas Red'

The purple trailing lantana is always a favorite with butterflies.

As is the almond verbena. Its scent is heavenly!

Feverfew also is a favorite with pollinators. Note the colorful little fly on the left.

Among the wildflowers, the blanket flowers are still colorful.

So are the prairie coneflowers.

Esperanza is beginning its summer into fall blooming period. Here is the mahogany variety.

And here is the traditional yellow.

The mixed gazania daisies by the patio continue to brighten their space.

The yellow cestrum was late to get going this year, but now it is in full swing.

This hybrid purple datura that I started from seed last year is doing well, in spite of the fact that insects really like it, as you can gather from the holes in the leaves and the blossom.

The first of the brugmansias - angel trumpet - to bloom was this one that I also started from seed last year.

My old angel trumpet that I've had for many years has now joined the bloom parade.

'Montrose Purple' vitex

American beautyberry has a rather insignificant blossom, but the berries in the autumn are real eyecatchers for as long as they last before being devoured by the birds and other critters.

Blue plumbago is one of my favorite and most dependable summer bloomers.

My variegated abelia likes its new spot under the old magnolia tree and is rewarding me with lots of flowers.

Old-fashioned 4 o'clocks - Mirabilis jalapa.

Summer phlox, another old-fashioned favorite.

Wedelia is a rambunctious ground cover that also offers pretty little daisy-like flowers.

Wax begonias are personal favorites. I like to use them in various spots around the garden for summer color because they are so trouble-free and dependable. Here they live in a pot on the patio table.

Crocosmia.

Echinacea.

The swamp hibiscus which is called 'Texas Star' (at least in Texas!) is in bloom. It also comes in a white variety which hasn't started blooming yet. These plants live by my little pond and they bloom all through the summer and into the fall.

It's been an interesting spring. It started out dry, but recently we have started having regular rains. We can only hope that they continue into the summer, but if I had to predict, I'd say the chances are not good. Nevertheless, we enjoy and appreciate the showers while they last.

Happy summer to you all - or, in the case of my readers in the southern hemisphere, happy winter! Whatever season prevails where you are, I hope it is good to you and your garden. 



Comments

  1. Wow, so much in flower. And it's interesting because there are plants that in England are not in bloom quite yet, like Crocosmia and Echinacea.
    Almond verbena though, I must investigate that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June may, in fact, be my bloomingest month. Yes, almond verbena is worth your investigation. It's a great plant!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Sunday: Don't Hesitate by Mary Oliver

Poetry Sunday: Hymn for the Hurting by Amanda Gorman

Open Season (Joe Pickett #1) by C.J. Box - A review