Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - February 2015

(Note to my regular readers: Poetry Sunday will return next week.)

Trying to find blooms in my February garden was a real scavenger hunt, but I did manage to come up with a few prizes. And some surprises.



If it's February, it's time for the leucojum to send out their dainty little bell-shaped blossoms. No surprise there. 

And in beds all over the garden, the weed oxalis is sending up its shamrock leaves and providing a bit of winter color with its delicate pink blossoms. Even though it's a weed, it disappears when the weather heats up, so for the most part, I tolerate it. 

In a pot near the front door, the more cultivated form of the plant, the purple oxalis, is also beginning to bloom as it nestles in its companion ivy. 

Also near the front door, the pansies still bloom in their pot with the ornamental cabbage.

A few of the cyclamen hang on as well.

This white yarrow just seems confused. It is a bit early for it to be blooming, but I think it has been fooled by the fact that we've hardly had any winter weather - only one night when the temperature actually got below freezing. I know my friends in New England and the Midwest may find that hard to comprehend.

The Turk's Cap 'Big Momma' was bitten back by the night of below freezing temperatures, but the part of the plant closest to the brick wall survived and continues to bloom.

As do a few of the bright orange blossoms of the Cape honeysuckle. It has been in continuous bloom since early fall.

The Carolina Jessamine has a few blooms. In another week, it should be covered in them.

I've added a few primroses in pots around the garden. These brighten the patio table.

Elsewhere on the patio, the violas continue their winter-long bloom. The plant in the center is mullein.

Purple trailing lantana is another of my continuous bloomers. Unless it gets really, really cold, it almost never shuts down, so it's doing quite nicely in this mild winter.

The fringy fuchsia flowers of the loropetalum are in their glory now.

I would be negligent if I didn't also mention my Valentine's Day orchid from my Sweetie. Thank you, Sweetie!
I hope your Valentine's Day was filled with love and that your Bloom Day is filled with blooms. Hold on - spring is coming!

Thanks to Carol of May Dreams Gardens for eight years of Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. Here's hoping number nine is the bloomingest one yet!

Comments

  1. Only one night below freezing? Yes, that's hard for us in the Midwest to swallow, especially as we're in the grips of a deep freeze once again. Still, it's so nice to see all your lovely blooms. I wish pansies would last through the winter here, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On January 7, it got down to 30 degrees at night. So far, we haven't even made it into the 20s this winter. Still there are a few more weeks to go.

      Delete
  2. It is nice seeing all your blooms at this time of year as we are buried under snow and spring is still far away. I especially enjoyed the vibrant purple of your primrose...so pretty! Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I enjoy seeing pictures of your snow-covered plants, which have a beauty all their own. Still, I am glad I don't have to deal with a couple of feet of that white stuff!

      Delete
  3. Holding on for spring, and grateful daily that I don't live in Boston. Your blooms were so welcome on my computer. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Boston! They really have had an unusually rough time of it this winter. But even for them, spring IS coming!

      Delete
  4. Your spring (not to mention the lovely lantana blooming in winter) is way ahead of ours, it's great to see some flowers now in anticipation. Your Oxalis has such bright purple leaves, my similar houseplant they are more black and burgundy,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe there are some different varieties of the purple oxalis which have different shades of leaves. Mine really are quite a brilliant purple, but I've had the plants for so long - and I was gifted with a start of them - that I don't remember their variety name.

      Delete
  5. My white yarrow is blooming too, and has been for a while. It's pretty. I'll take it! Your oxalis are attractive too. There are a couple of horrible weedy yellow versions in my garden, but I let the rest spread in my garden too. Enjoy your blooms. You've got lots of color around you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a little weird about that white yarrow. I never remember it blooming this early before, but then it has been a weird winter.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful orchid. Elegant, subtle, perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your leucojums are so pretty, I keep telling myself I really should get some but they are rather expensive over here compared to many other bulbs and every time I make an order for plants or bulbs I end up buying something else I get more of for less money. I enjoyed your photo though :-)
    Nice to see all your February flowers, lots of colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are not too many bulbs that I have any luck with in my garden. Leucojum is one of them, so, obviously, it is one of my favorites!

      Delete
  8. Hi Dorothy, I love white yarrow. I just purchased a few small plants from Horizon Herbs online. For some reason I can't find the white at the garden center here. They have all the other colors, but not white. Also, the leucojum is so pretty. I love little white bell flowers. I planted some Lily of the Valley pips but have not seen them flower yet. I need to find a pretty white bell flower that's dainty like leucojum that will grow here in my crazy Southern California climate... It was 86 last week... so wrong for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has truly been a strange "winter." I guess we had best get used to it, as it seems this is what our future will be.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Sunday: Don't Hesitate by Mary Oliver

Poetry Sunday: Hymn for the Hurting by Amanda Gorman

Open Season (Joe Pickett #1) by C.J. Box - A review