Baseball will break your heart every time

“[Baseball] breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.”
― A. Bartlett GiamattiTake Time For Paradise: Americans And Their Games

~~~

So, the Astros have a 2-1 lead in games of the Division Series in the American League going into today's game. With just one more win, they can take this series and go on to the League Championship Series.

In the seventh inning of today's game, they opened up a 6-2 lead over the Kansas City Royals. In the eighth inning, the manager, who has made brilliant moves all year, turned it over to his usually reliable bullpen to close it out. Victory seemed assured.

Then, it all fell apart.

The bullpen gave up the lead and the batters were not able to come back in their last six at-bats. Final score: 9-6. Royals win. 

Bart Giamatti is proved right once again. Baseball does break your heart. Especially if you are an Astros fan.

On to Kansas City.

Comments

  1. I'm a long-time Cubs fan, so you don't have to tell me about baseball breaking my heart:) I'm feeling pretty good this morning after the Cubs beat the Cards again, but I know from experience not to get too confident. Still not used to the Astros being in the American League; I am rooting for them, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm rooting for the Cubs to beat the hated Cardinals! I hope you've enjoyed Jim Deshaies as the Cubs color commentator. I still miss him.

      Delete
  2. I'm following the Mets this season and they are on a roll. I hope they keep their winning streak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are looking good so far in spite of the Dodgers' best (or worst) efforts. Too bad about Ruben Tejada's broken leg. I hope he heals well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Sunday: Don't Hesitate by Mary Oliver

Poetry Sunday: Hymn for the Hurting by Amanda Gorman

Open Season (Joe Pickett #1) by C.J. Box - A review