Backyard Nature Wednesday: The mystery rose

Last summer, a new rose plant popped up in my garden, near where my 'Litchfield Angel' rose was located. 

'Litchfield Angel,' a David Austin rose.

  
Okay, I thought, it's an offshoot from the 'Litchfield Angel.' During the winter, I dug the new plant and moved it to another location in a sunny spot where it would have more room to develop. It flourished there. And then, this spring, it bloomed.

Whaaat??? That's no 'Litchfield Angel'! But what is it?

In color, it looks a bit like the old 'Dortmund,' an antique rose that I used to grow. But the 'Dortmund' is a single-flowered rose with one layer of petals. The new rose is double-flowered with many petals, although not as many as the 'Litchfield Angel'.
So, what is this new rose? Is it some heretofore unknown hybrid, possibly of 'Dortmund' and 'Litchfield Angel'? The roses grew in the same general area, so such a hybridization would perhaps be possible. But really, I don't have a clue. Whatever the rose is, I like it and I'm glad to have it in my garden. I think I'll call it 'Dorothy's Mystery.'

Comments

  1. You should go into the hybrid rose business, lol. It's lovely. I think "Dorothy's Mystery" is a lovely name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. appreciate you sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to share my roses with you - even when I don't know their names!

      Delete
  3. That's such a good name. Dorothy's Mystery. I hope you can find out what happened (or maybe a rose breeder will buy the rights from you...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very pretty. Could it be a sucker from the rootstock of one of the original roses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is another possibility. I think the only one that would have been close enough to throw off a sucker would have been the 'Litchfield Angel.' I'll have to try to research what that rootstock would have been.

      Delete
  5. Dorothy's Mystery is lovely. You may be interested in my story about the Lichfield Angel (no 't')here:

    https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=2608010804192268779#editor/target=post;postID=8801821126788304115;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=2;src=postname

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, Pam. I'll certainly give it a look.

      Delete
  6. Hmmm... Or maybe an animal carried seeds? Doesn't matter I guess, it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't really matter to me since I'm not a professional rosarian. I'll just enjoy the rose.

      Delete
  7. How exciting really. My mom used to call such things "volunteers" and they were always welcome in her garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I call them that, too, and I have many volunteers in my garden. In fact, I might say they are the backbone of my garden.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Sunday: Don't Hesitate by Mary Oliver

Poetry Sunday: Hymn for the Hurting by Amanda Gorman

Open Season (Joe Pickett #1) by C.J. Box - A review