Poetry Sunday: Among Women

"What women wander?" I think we each do in our own way. 

These days I wander mostly while seated with a book in my hand or while dreaming while weeding my garden as my mind flies off in many directions. 

Maybe your wandering takes another form. Whatever works for you."Women wander as best they can." 

Maybe men do, too.

Among Women

Related Poem Content Details

What women wander?
Not many. All. A few.
Most would, now & then,
& no wonder.
Some, and I’m one,
Wander sitting still.
My small grandmother
Bought from every peddler 
Less for the ribbons and lace
Than for their scent
Of sleep where you will, 
Walk out when you want, choose
Your bread and your company. 

She warned me, “Have nothing to lose.”

She looked fragile but had
High blood, runner’s ankles,
Could endure, endure.
She loved her rooted garden, her
Grand children, her once
Wild once young man.
Women wander
As best they can.

Comments

  1. Oh so poignant. I loved these lines: Less for the ribbons and lace
    Than for their scent
    Of sleep where you will,
    Walk out when you want, choose
    Your bread and your company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those are very meaningful lines, I think, the heart of the poem. It's something I think most women can recognize. And maybe men as well.

      Delete
  2. True, we wander as best as we can. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our minds can take us to the far reaches of the universe or to the interior of the human heart.

      Delete
  3. enjoyable, thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Sunday: Don't Hesitate by Mary Oliver

Poetry Sunday: Hymn for the Hurting by Amanda Gorman

Open Season (Joe Pickett #1) by C.J. Box - A review