Poetry Sunday: America

As we get ready to celebrate the birthday of our nation tomorrow, July 4, I think many of us can relate to the words of this poem from almost a century ago.

America

Related Poem Content Details

Although she feeds me bread of bitterness, 
And sinks into my throat her tiger’s tooth, 
Stealing my breath of life, I will confess 
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth. 
Her vigor flows like tides into my blood, 
Giving me strength erect against her hate, 
Her bigness sweeps my being like a flood. 
Yet, as a rebel fronts a king in state, 
I stand within her walls with not a shred 
Of terror, malice, not a word of jeer. 
Darkly I gaze into the days ahead, 
And see her might and granite wonders there, 
Beneath the touch of Time’s unerring hand, 
Like priceless treasures sinking in the sand.

~~~

"I stand within her walls with not a shred 
of terror, malice, not a word of jeer."

I like that. In this season when terror, malice, and jeering often seem to be the currency of certain politicians, it is important to remember who we really are as a people, and that, in spite of all our imperfections, ours is a truly fortunate country and we are lucky to live "Beneath the touch of Time's unerring hand."




Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this, Dorothy. I have hope that all that is good about this country will rise to the top in the coming year. Have a Happy Fourth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful poem, and how true its words! Happy Fourth of July, Dorothy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. I thought it was especially meaningful this year.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this enjoyable post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. In fact, I go through those thoughts every year on the Fourth of July. Somehow we manage to muddle through and preserve at least some of our ideals. Thank you for the poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope we can continue to muddle through. Perhaps it is the best we can hope for.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Sunday: Don't Hesitate by Mary Oliver

Poetry Sunday: Hymn for the Hurting by Amanda Gorman

Open Season (Joe Pickett #1) by C.J. Box - A review