Wednesday in the garden: Dahlias

I've always admired dahlias, always thought they were especially beautiful flowers. Unfortunately, it hasn't been a mutual admiration society. Whenever I've tried growing them in the past, they have just curled up and died on me.

I've never been able to figure out why. Dahlias are supposed to be relatively easy to grow, so why have I been such a failure with them? With my last try a few years ago, I decided to admit defeat. I would not try them again.

But dahlias are one of the few plants that my husband, the non-gardener, has ever expressed a liking for. He calls their blooms "elegant." And I am always trying to do something in the garden that will actually get his attention. So, when I was in one of the big box stores' nursery section this spring and came across a bin full of dahlia bulbs, I thought why not give it just one more try?

I bought three bulbs and planted them. And promptly forgot about them. 

Several weeks later, I was about to transplant some other plants to the space where I had put them when I looked down and saw three mounds of bright green leaves pushing through the soil. Oh, yeah, I thought - dahlias!

The plants were all healthy and grew fast and now, only a few weeks later, I have dahlia blooms!

Not only do I have blooms but the buds promise more to come.
All three of the plants are blooming beautifully.


Dahlia with orange milkweed.

Could it actually be that my dahlia jinx is finally broken?

Comments

  1. How exciting, Dorothy! What they needed was a hands-free let-me-grow-on-my-own approach. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently "stick 'em in the ground and forget 'em" is a strategy that really works!

      Delete
  2. Oh how great it is when a jinx is broken! I am happy for you. I too love dahlias.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to think - all they ever wanted was to be neglected!

      Delete
  3. Oh, they are beautiful Dorothy! I always wanted to try Dahlias. Enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Sunday: Don't Hesitate by Mary Oliver

Poetry Sunday: Hymn for the Hurting by Amanda Gorman

Open Season (Joe Pickett #1) by C.J. Box - A review