Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - May 2018

May flowers. The words seem to go together, don't they? Perhaps that's why Carol calls her blog "May Dreams Gardens." 

Here are some of the May flowers that are bringing color to my garden.


The gerbera daisies are in bloom.



And so are the marguerite daisies.



The old species cannas are showing their colors.



As are the gaillardia.



And blanket flowers.



A few of the daylilies are blooming.



Here's another.



And yet another. This was actually the first one to bloom this year.


The yellow cestrum is flowering.



The blue plumbago was killed back to its roots during the winter and took its time coming back this spring, but now it, too, has begun to bloom.



The potato vine sports a few flowers.



And the volunteer snapdragons have just begun to snap.



Salvia greggii in red.



Salvia greggii in white.



Salvia greggii in raspberry.

  
Pentas.



We think of chrysanthemums as fall flowers but these bloom in the spring, also.



Tropical milkweed in red.



Red yucca is not really a yucca but it is a tough native Texas plant.



Here's a closer view of the red yucca's bloom, which hummingbirds dearly love. 


The oakleaf hydrangea still blooms by the back porch. It has been in bloom for weeks now and you can see that some of the blooms are beginning to turn the pinkish color that shows they are drying out. They are still attractive when dry.


Most of my roses are resting just now but 'Old Blush' continues to produce blooms.


'Belinda's Dream' is in full bloom.



This is a new hybrid salvia I've recently added to the garden. It is called 'Wendy's Wish.'



This lantana is blooming profusely.



While this one has just begun to bloom.



Mirabilis jalapa, the 4 o'clock plant.



Sunflowers are brightening the garden with their sunny faces.



No flowers here but this is the latest addition to my garden. It is a Japanese maple 'Bloodgood,' a Mother's Day gift from my thoughtful daughters.

Is your May garden full of flowers? I look forward to visiting and seeing them. Thank you for stopping by my garden this month.

Comments

  1. So many beautiful blooms! Some are familiar to me, others not. I would love to have Yellow Cestrum, but I think our winter is too cold for it. Love the smiling sunflower face!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cestrum is only hardy to zone 8B so probably not for your zone 7 garden, but you have many beautiful alternatives.

      Delete
  2. Daylilies? Sunflowers? You kept me going through the winter (and you were right, spring finally came) but I am looking at full-on summer. Actually, I bought three lantana plants on Friday and will be putting them out soon - we may be past our last frost date but May is always a gamble. Anyway, I loved all your blooms, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, summer has definitely arrived here, with temperatures in the 90s and climbing most days. Good luck with your lantana. I would think that it would do well for you.

      Delete
  3. I got to see lots of red yucca in Austin at the Fling. I took so many photos of it because I love it so. Not suitable for Massachusetts, alas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red yucca is tough but not built to withstand a Massachusetts winter. I've been reading all my friends' posts about the Fling - unfortunately, I wasn't there. It seems a good time was had by all!

      Delete
  4. Flowers, flowers, everywhere. Thanks for joining in for bloom day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Carol, and for hosting Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. What a wonderful inspiration you had to start all this all those years ago!

      Delete
  5. Wow, your blooms are way ahead of ours in the PNW. We won't see sunflowers and cannas blooming for quite a while. So many gorgeous blooms! Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, summer has begun here and summer flowers are in bloom.

      Delete
  6. Your garden's blooms are a delight! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I am leaving for a 6 day trip to the midwest. I hope all my plants will be patient until I get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water them well before you leave and enjoy your trip!

      Delete
  8. Happy to see you garden filled with lovely colorful blossoms.Sunflower has a beautiful yellow color. We had a flower same like sunflower, but it is not sunflower. I don't remember it's name...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beauty,we have some common blooms never heard of yellow cestrum,that gerbera is nice
    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have some blooms in common. Perhaps the climate in parts of India is not so different from Southeast Texas!

      Delete
  10. What a lovely gift from your daughters! I'm always intrigued by how much farther ahead your garden is than mine--most of the flowers we have in common won't be blooming here for at least another month. 'Wendy's Wish' is a favorite of mine, and the hummingbirds love it. I had a hard time finding it around here for several years, because it's not hardy in my zone 5 garden. But a few years ago, our local small town nursery happened to get some in, and I bragged about it so much, they now stock it every year--and sell out every year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughters always get me a plant for the garden on Mother's Day. It's a wonderful tradition. I'm really enjoying my 'Wendy's Wish' salvia. I think it may become one of my favorites, as well.

      Delete
  11. Dorothy- your gardens are looking wonderful with so many blooms! The Gerbera daisies are looking especially magnificent! You are so far ahead of us here in the northeast! Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely your flower season starts so early! My blanket flowers are still seedlings! They make up for lost time by August though.
    I wish lantana grew here in Southern Oregon as a perennial. I suppose in a mild year it would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lantana is tough but probably not tough enough for an Oregon winter. I'm lucky that mine comes back year after year even though it dies back in winter.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Sunday: Don't Hesitate by Mary Oliver

Poetry Sunday: Hymn for the Hurting by Amanda Gorman

Open Season (Joe Pickett #1) by C.J. Box - A review