Poetry Sunday: The Sound of Trees

Is there any sound more peaceful than the conversation of trees when a gentle breeze rustles through their leaves? It is a sound to soothe the soul and that, I think, is why we enjoy having them close to our dwelling places. Robert Frost understood this.

The Sound of Trees

by Robert Frost

I wonder about the trees.
Why do we wish to bear
Forever the noise of these
More than another noise
So close to our dwelling place?
We suffer them by the day
Till we lose all measure of pace, 
And fixity in our joys,
And acquire a listening air.
They are that that talks of going
But never gets away;
And that talks no less for knowing,
As it grows wiser and older, 
That now it means to stay.
My feet tug at the floor
And my head sways to my shoulder
Sometimes when I watch trees sway,
From the window or the door.
I shall set forth for somewhere,
I shall make the reckless choice
Some day when they are in voice
And tossing so as to scare
The white clouds over them on.
I shall have less to say,
But I shall be gone.

A tree that has a lot to say.


Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this wonderful poem! I, for one, can never get enough of Robert Frost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Anastasia. His poetry really speaks to me. I would have to say that he and Billy Collins are just about my favorite poets. Simple, straightforward words that often have such deep meaning.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Sunday: Don't Hesitate by Mary Oliver

Poetry Sunday: Hymn for the Hurting by Amanda Gorman

Open Season (Joe Pickett #1) by C.J. Box - A review