Poetry Sunday: My Cats by Charles Bukowski

I had a request to feature poetry by Charles Bukowski here, so I looked around for an appropriate poem and the first one I landed on was "My Cats." Well, obviously, it was meant to be! I looked no further.

My Cats

by Charles Bukowski

I know. I know.
they are limited, have different
needs and
concerns.

but I watch and learn from them.
I like the little they know,
which is so
much.

they complain but never
worry,
they walk with a surprising dignity.
they sleep with a direct simplicity that
humans just can't
understand.

their eyes are more
beautiful than our eyes.
and they can sleep 20 hours
a day
without
hesitation or
remorse.

when I am feeling
low
all I have to do is
watch my cats
and my
courage
returns.

I study these
creatures.

they are my
teachers. 


Rudy, one of my cats, who teaches me.

Comments

  1. Ahhh! ;-)

    "...and they can sleep 20 hours
    a day
    without
    hesitation or
    remorse.

    Love that! I was probably a cat in another life. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may have been as well. Perhaps that explains my lifelong affinity for cats.

      Delete
  2. We have so much to learn from cats if we accept their nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acceptance is the only way; fighting their nature never works.

      Delete
  3. Cats over dogs every time in my opinion. I miss my cats. There are just too many coyotes where I live now and I refuse to keep a cat inside all the time. Loved the poem.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Sunday: Don't Hesitate by Mary Oliver

Poetry Sunday: Hymn for the Hurting by Amanda Gorman

Open Season (Joe Pickett #1) by C.J. Box - A review