(Belated) Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - July 2019

We had internet problems yesterday and so I was not able to post an entry for Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day. Internet restored, so here it is a bit belatedly.

Full disclosure: Not all of these pictures are current but all of these plants are currently blooming in my southeast Texas (zone 9a) garden.

Crinum: Milk and wine lilies. 

Dahlia. 

My dinner-plate-sized hibiscus. 

Joe Pye weed, which isn't a weed at all but a native plant that pollinators love. 

Anisacanthus wrightii, flame acanthus.

 Crocosmia.

 Echinacea: Purple coneflower.

Lantana. 

Duranta erecta: Golden dewdrop.

 Almond verbena: Unobtrusive flowers with a heavenly scent.

 'Pride of Barbados,' one of my favorite summer bloomers.

Hamelia patens, aka Mexican firebush: Blooms for most of the year and is much favored by hummingbirds and all kinds of pollinators, like this bee.

 Crinum: 'Ellen Bosanquet.'

The ubiquitous crape myrtle - wouldn't be summer without 'em!

Texas sage: Its blooms are triggered by rain and we've had plenty of that so far this summer. 

 Cypress vine: An old-fashioned garden favorite of hummingbirds. And of me.

 
 And, last but not least, my ever-dependable blue plumbago.

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you'll leave a comment so I'll know you were here. And thank you, Carol of May Dreams Gardens, as always, for hosting this monthly meme. 

Happy (belated) Bloom Day to all!

Comments

  1. All beautiful flowers. I have always wanted a crepe Myrtle but while they will grow to trees here they seldom bloom---too short a season so not enough sun and heat.
    MB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do love the sun and heat which makes them perfect for our climate.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!!!!
    Love the Texas Sage - so pretty!
    Your garden, of course, is ahead of mine, but I expect some of the same blooms next month - my cypress vine is just putting up runners.
    My Milk and Wine Lilies have not bloomed in several years. I wonder if I need to relocate the bulbs to get more sunlight.
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do seem to relish the sunlight. Mine get at least six hours daily and they are flourishing.

      Delete
  3. You (almost) want to make me move to a hot clime - I love crepe myrtles and there are none hardy for my zone 5b area - but maybe one day. All beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering how beautiful your garden is without crape myrtles, I'd say you are well advised to stick to your cooler climate!

      Delete
  4. Wow your first pic is my most anticipated bloom, since I have tried growing this bulbous species but somehow never had good luck,Pride of barbados or Peacock plant and plumbago are so easily growing bushes that can give bountiful blooms with little care,Is crocosmia same as montbrettia ,Duranta and Lantana are such hardy plants for harsh summer days,Happy blooms day.

    PS Hows your husband health hope he is in good spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind to ask about my husband. His recovery is on schedule, maybe ahead of schedule, and he's feeling well and optimistic. We are both optimistic.

      Delete
  5. All of your blooms are beautiful Dorothy and I especially love the Crinum. Although we have many of the same perennials, we are just out of the hardiness zone for growing any of the more tropical plants. I so enjoyed the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to come and sit in your yard for an afternoon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Sunday: Don't Hesitate by Mary Oliver

Poetry Sunday: Hymn for the Hurting by Amanda Gorman

Open Season (Joe Pickett #1) by C.J. Box - A review